Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Beet & Ruggie update!


We got a lot of ground to cover this post, so stick with me....(by the way, this is Ruggie and his friend playing on their trucks!)

April 2009

4/9 - The official Easter egg hunt at Parent's Day Out for Ruggie....the kids all made cone-shaped baskets for the hung with a piece of yarn to serve as the handle....not sure which of the brilliant kids came up with this, but one simply hung the Easter basket around their neck and the rest followed suit! I took off of work early that day so I could help the PDO teacher hide the eggs. I tell you what....my Ruggie did NOT lollygag. He bolted past the other kids and got a ton of eggs (although the teacher made sure at the end to make sure all the kids got an equal number of eggs) hidden on window sills, behind plastic slides and underneath toys. Naturally, I stood there watching him with my chest puffed out like a peacock as he ran past the others and took on the "every baby boy for himself" attitude. That's MY competitive boy there! :)

4/11 - Ruggie and Beets got the benefit of having TWO Easters this year. The first took place on Saturday with my parents out on their land. We had tons of food, a kid and an adult egg hunt and, of course, the totally irrelevant pinata to swing at (this year was a colorful sandal). Ruggie loved hunting for eggs (in his Spiderman Easter tin) and candy and took off like a lightning bolt once we gave the go-ahead. Beets had her Disney princess basket and simply watched her brother trample over everybody to get his loot. In Ruggie's Easter basket, he had a book, candy, Hot Wheels and a big bubble wand. Beets got a cute tank top, a book, Puffs and a cute butterfly car.

4/12 - The second Easter was at Aunt Y's house.....lots of bbq and an Easter egg hunt. All the boy cousins had matching Polo's (courtesy of the aunts who love to shop) and Beets wore her beautiful white flow-ey dress. Like her mama, though, when we put it on, she tried to rip it off while screaming, ha! During the egg hunt, Ruggie bent down and picked up an egg. A REAL baby egg that had already hatched a while back! At first I saw it and was like, what kind of insane realistic candy is THAT? Then we realized he had gone on a real egg hunt.....oh, my Ruggie-boy!

4/19 - We headed out on a Sunday afternoon to an air show....our first ever! Ruggie and I split a pizza and watched the planes overhead. He got to explore a huge helicopter inside and out. I think his favorite part was watching a whole flock of parachuters sail swiftly down to earth. When they landed he said, "I go see them!" Beets, on the other hand, wore her ear plugs, played with my cell phone and only looked slightly amused when I pointed out the planes to her. She got a little sunburn on her shoulders and Ruggie decided he had had enough and made me carry him back all the way to the car because the loud fighter jets started to freak him out!

4/23 - Mud day at Ruggie's Parents' Day Out! Tuna, Beets and I all got to attend Mud Day with Ruggie. Beets enjoyed a buggy ride (her second one) and was such a natural with her arm hanging over the side as if she was used to just maxing and relaxing on a buggy. Ruggie was a little skeptical of the mud buckets at first and when mud splashed from his shovel onto his arm, he looked up at us angrily and said, "I'm getting messy!" Oh, so much like his father. But after a little while, he realized mud was fun and he got very messy!

4/24 - Ruggie's aunt made him say "hamburger" over and over because he says it so dang cute: ham-buh-gurh I really need to record him saying it!

4/25 - Beet's second tooth busts loose (her bottom one)! She has the cutest toothy smile ever! When she is playing, we call her "asthma attack" because she does this heavy breathing (on purpose) and juts out her bottom teeth and starts to look maniacal, haha!

4/28 - I was putting Noah down for his nap and we were playing a little beforehand (playing the hiding game under the blanket) and then he was starting to get ready to really go to sleep and he looked at me and said, "You're a princess." At first, I was like, uh, did he say what I THINK he said? So I said, "What, my baby? What did you say?" And he smiled and said, "Mama, you're a princess." So I hugged him and kissed him for a LONG time and he was so proud of himself! Ha! I don't even know where he got that from!!!!! My little lady's man! :)

May 2009


5/2 - Our church hosts something called the Dads, Dolls & Dudes fishing tournament each year. This year, Ruggie seemed old enough to participate in it so he, along with Tuna and Tuna's dad went. Ruggie was very well-behaved but seemed more interested in picking up rocks and poking at the baggie full of bait than he did in actually fishing. They caught one fish that was about 6 inches long, although I will tell Ruggie when he is older that the first fish he caught was 6 FEET long! :)


5/9 - Princess story #2 - Let me preface this story a little bit....on Mother's Day 2007 (Ruggie's 1st Mama's Day) we had a little brunch and I wore this white summer-ey dress. Well, I figured since it was Beet's first Mama's Day, I would see if I could squeeze into that white dress again. The day before Mother's Day, I went into the master closet and started trying on the dress. I put it on (it fit, although a little snug this time, yikes!) and some white sandals. Ruggie opened the closet door, saw me standing there, looked me up and down and his eyes opened wide. He said, "Mama, you a princess!" I about sunk into a puddle of gooey love when he said that and swore to myself that even if I looked like a fat sausage in that dress, I was going to wear it the next day!



5/14 - Beets goes in for her 9 month doc appointment! She weighs in at 20 lbs and 1 oz, my big chunker and does wonderfully with her doctor! When the nurse tells her that she will not need any shots this time around, Beets actually started clapping!


Beets now has a third tooth (top) that has broken through and looks huge, ha! She loves to bite things (including my nipple when she nurses, ouch!) and we have taken to calling her our little hoover since she eats all old Puffs and Cheerios off the floor. We have to keep our eyes on her because she has also eaten coupons (she helps me clip coupons....and by "help" I mean she grabs the paper and shakes it furiously and then shoves it all in her mouth). She is a crawling machine (which began in early May, so we'll say right at 9 months) and has also started cruising along the furniture quite well. It was only a matter of time since she has been lifting herself up onto furniture for quite some time. She loves to let go of the furniture and just stand by herself on semi-shaky legs and play with her toys (totally showing off, ha!). Also, she will just turn around and lunge forward to start walking with no fear whatsoever, even though she has fallen on her face before. She has taken a few half-steps, so I will be REALLY surprised if she isn't taking her first steps before she hits ten months! Beets is still in love with her older brother and squeals in delight if he wakes her up in the morning! When he is eating in his chair, she will crawl over to him and pick herself up so that her little hands are pulling down on his tray

Ruggie is just talking up a storm these days! His latest thing (since this past weekend) is to act like a doggy or kitty and bark or meow. He makes me throw his little green Diego ball and he crawls quickly to pick it up in his mouth and bring it back to me. And he will bark FOREVER! One of the cutest things he has done lately (last week) was when Homer and I were talking in the living room and about to leave, he said, "Get closer!" and he pulled us closer together by the thighs so that we had to be face-to-face. When we gave each other a quick peck, he was SO happy and had his little shy-proud face! Which makes ME proud because I would love for him to be a romantic (which he is really working on with all that mama-is-a-princess talk!) when he is older!


No comments: