Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Best. Date. Ever. In the history of the universe!

About a week ago, Mr. Skroodle (my hubby) had to meet up with a client in a town about 45 minutes away that is known for having great seafood, so Ruggie and I decided to tag along for the trip. We dropped off Skroodle at his appointment and headed off to the bay to see what kind of delicious dinner we could scrounge up. Naturally, all the good restaurants were already closed, and the only other places were Taco Bell, McDonald's and other fast-food places. We had almost resigned ourselves to simply stuff our faces with greasy burgers and chicken strips when in the distance I see Chili's. Now, I'm not a big fan of Chili's and I have no idea why, but I was desperate to get something other than a beef and bean enchirito.

And, thus, begins the best date ever in the history of all the entire universe from what has transpired to what will be in the future.

I came in carrying Ruggie and when the waitress said, "How many?" I proudly said "Two! We are on a mama/baby boy date" to which she cooed and awwwwwed. We got situated and had the quickest service ever. I asked for ranch dressing with my fries (seriously, if you think that's gross, just try it once I beg of you; it will be so long, ketchup!). Ruggie saw me dipping my fries in the ranch so he tried it and immediatley looked up at me like, "Oh, hayelllllllll no, I did NOT just put that in my mouth!" as he spit it out. But, since he realized that I liked it, he would dip a fry in ranch and then hold it out to feed it to me. Then he would grab another fry without ranch and eat that one. Then dip one and feed it to me and so on and so on. I about died in my chair from gentleman (or in this case, gentlebaby) overload. Here was my toddler boy feeding ME! After months and months of feeding him, the tables had turned and he has grown so fast that he can now feed his mama. Sweet Jesus, it was glorious.

So, somehow, someway, he realizes that when I am talking to him, to keep looking at me until I finish my thoughts, like a very good listener. When I would stop talking, he would start babbling as if continuing the conversation. It was amazing. He never got bored, he never got tired or cranky...we just ate and "talked" and played with everything on the table. All in all, the best date I have ever had...I doubt Skroodle would be jealous.

One of the things (among many) I pray for is that we teach Ruggie to be a gentleman and, well, it looks like it's working. :)

No comments: