Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Rugs and Beets, Beets and Rugs

Here is Ruggie intently watching Manny Manny (Handy Manny), one of his faves.

I am sitting here going through that raggedy old journal I kept during Rug's first months before we made the transition to this blog. I am looking at Day 36 of his journal and we were STILL tracking his wet and poopy diapers and I was somehow, through the brain fog, keeping track of how long he nursed and on which side. Can you say PAR-A-NOID?! Aw, hell, who am I kidding....while I'm not keeping track of the peepee and poopoos for Beets (who needs to when she pees and poops virtually nonstop all day), we did have a very paranoid and panicky moment today. After I nursed her, I was changing her diaper and all of a sudden she started gasping almost. She wasn't choking, just making these gasping sounds. She didn't seem alarmed or scared, it was just the gasping. Well, I immediately picked her up and started to attempt to burp her by hitting her back and meanwhile Tuna was panicking behind me telling me to lift her more. Tuna got Ruggie dressed in under 2 seconds and we sped out the door and straight to her doctor which is like 4 minutes away. Of course, once she was in her car seat, she stopped gasping and had already fallen peacefully asleep. We took her in anyway and they told us she might have simply aspirated on some breastmilk so just to burp her more often, but that her temp was great and lungs sounded fine. It was still scary as all crap, though, and I almost had to change my pants by the time we got home!

Some Ruggie/Beet updates to keep you yearning for mo'!  ;)

Ruggie
*His vocab is increasing so fast, it is freaking us out. Amongst many other words, the ones I can remember right now are apple, dog and clock. 
*He had a lot of first new eats including his first apple (which we avoided because we always worried about the skin but which he mastered by eating the apple slice and somehow spitting the entire skin out when he was done), raisins (from a gift box from Dee), grapes (also something we avoided but got talked into and I bit them in half) and half a Krispy Kreme glazed donut with sprinkles (at a playdate when nobody was looking). 
*Ruggie is starting Parent's Day Out at our church next Tuesday....he will be going Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:30 to 1:30! I want to get him a backpack but I know if I see him wearing one, I will burst out in tears because he is growing up so fast! I KNOW this is a great thing for him and he'll love to socialize and Tuna will get some time to get paperwork done in the mornings, but still I am going to be standing there bawling my eyes out like some kind of maniac and I will not care who is watching or who points and laughs at me. Damnit. 
*We have started a new tradition as part of his nighttime routine. After his bath and lotion massage (hehe), he now runs to his Dada and gets a warm cup of milk which he LOVES. Mama would partake, but seeing as I only like milk when it is wetting my cereal, I simply sit back, watch and smile.

Beets

*When Ruggie was small, Grandma JoJo would talk to Ruggie about the dreams he had and she made a quilt out of them. Dada drew the pictures (Ruggie playing hide-and-seek with a baby giraffe, Ruggie riding a pony, etc) and Grandma JoJo sewed them onto a quilt. Well, it's Beet's turn and so far she has had a few dreams. In one, she is riding around in her convertible. In another, she is in Paris drinking milk in front of the Eiffel Tower. In another one she is trying on shoes. She gets a pedicure in another dream. Can't wait to see them on her quilt!
*She is sleeping very well at night. She gets up twice a night to nurse, but she's all business and then goes straight back to sleep. 
*Beets went to her first business meeting this week and was the official greeter, although she slept right through those duties. Oh, well....
*Beets is also a very big grunter. She will grunt in her bassinet and I am SURE she is about to wake up, but usually she is just changing positions very dramatically and by the time I look, she is fast asleep. 

So far, Beets and Ruggie are getting along, despite Rug's attempts to squash Beets with the couch pillows every now and then. He looks at her strangely when she grunts or sneezes and he thinks it is very funny when she cries....today, he started to point to her and say, "Baby" so that is another word in his arsenal.  :)

No comments: