Sunday, January 13, 2013

The Acorn Whisperer

For Christmas, Tuna and I bought the kids bikes (new one for Beets and an updated one for Ruggie). We have gone to our local library (which is amazing and has walking/hiking trails all around it and an uber-cool-tastic play area - heaven) a couple of times since the New Year began to take the kids bike riding.

Side note: Please, guys, I sure hope you take your kids to the library at least once every other week. It is so important for kids to read and be read to (for those of us with kids who are just starting to read). I have read to both of my babies since they were newborns. At that time, they were more interested at what my mouth was doing as it formed words than in the pictures in the books themselves, but you get what I mean. We go to the library every other week and my kids love to a) play educational games on the computers there and b) run around and pick books that strike their fancy and c) check out the books using the express check-out computer. We have a ton of favorite authors (I will devote a later blog to that) but our absolute favorite of all time is Mo Willems (of Knufflebunny, Pigeon, Elephant and Piggie fame).Moving on.....

So, back to bike riding. As you can see from the pic above, Beets likes to stop and pick acorns, yes, acorns. What is it with kids and acorns. Both of my babies have this strange fascination with acorns and we used to have baggies full of them (we kept all the ones they picked and gave to us and then one day had to simply discard them, because, really?). Now we keep a couple in this treasure bowl we have in the kitchen. So bike riding becomes acorn hunting becomes mama hauling the bike behind her as Beets runs ahead complaining that her legs hurt or she is sooooooooooooo tired.

On the crafty side, I am committed to making one of these wreaths by tonight. I will do it! Armed with my trust coupon from Michael's or Hobby Lobby, I shall see it through! Will post finished product tomorrow BECAUSE it WILL be done!!!!!


No comments: